How to Spot the Warning Signs of a Bad Web Design Agency
How a Bad Web Design Agency Can Hurt You and Your Brand
Before you hire a web design agency it is important to be aware of the warning signs of a bad web design agency. Doing business with a bad web design agency could put your business at risk, including not representing your brand and business the way you want. And worse than just wasting your money, you could actually lose control of your website and the content!
Even if a bad web design agency actually delivers a finished website it is usually not quality work. In addition to looking cheap these sites usually also suffer from lousy design, bad user interface and user experience, and generally less than engaging content. Maybe the entire site was copied from someone else, so there are potential copyright issues. And forget about having a mobile-friendly website that you can actually maintain and update yourself.
Don’t Get Duped!
Bad web design agencies rely on the fact that you may not know very much about the actual process. By confusing you with techno-jargon, making false promises like you getting top rank on Google, and demanding payment upfront a bad web design agency will try to bully you into making a hasty decision that you will regret later. We have a better idea; we will show you how to avoid dealing with a bad web design agency altogether!
How to Avoid Bad Web Design Agencies
In previous posts, we explained how to build a trustworthy website for your business and gave you a 10 step guide to hiring a web designer. Hopefully, you read them both and avoided having to deal with a bad web design agency. If you are still deciding on your web design agency keep an eye out for these telltale signs!
Signs of a Bad Web Design Agency
Some of the signs that you may be dealing with a bad web design agency include:
- If the agency ignores your calls.
- If there is a lack of communication.
- If the agency does not respond to your emails or messages.
- If you do not receive support from the web design agency.
- If the agency offers a lot of free services.
- If the agency charges too much for their product or service.
- If the agency offers product or service prices that are too cheap.
- If the web design agency often changes their prices.
- If free trial services are offered.
- If their offer sounds too good to be true.
- If past clients cannot be contacted.
- If the web design agency has bad reviews.
- If they do not deliver on their promises.
- If the products or service provided is of poor quality.
- If you are not kept updated with feedback.
- If the agency makes unreasonable promises, such as promising you first rank in Google searches.
- If the agency avoids answering your questions.
- If the agency promises that they have good contacts that will help make your site a success.
- If the web design agency comes across as threatening.
- If the company comes across as being impersonal.
- If the staff from the company do not listen to the client.
- If the agency makes use of too much jargon.
- If the agency does not show you past work that they have done.
- If the agency does not know what they are talking about.
- If the agency uses deceiving tactics.
- If the agency website is poorly designed.
- If the agency website is not updated.
- If the agency website does not have adequate contact information.
- If the agency website has a number of errors.
- If deadlines are not met.
- If payment is emphasized more than their service.
- If the agency’s only advertising is through email.
- If the agency appears to be incapable of doing a good job.
- If the agency’s staff act unprofessionally.
- If the web design agency insists on reusing previous designs.
Credible Web Design Agencies
A good web design agency will provide a range of connected services to help clients get the most of their new website. Most often this type of offering includes some or all of the following:
- Domain purchase and registration
- Email and FTP configuration
- E-Commerce solutions
- Mobile app development
- Website hosting
- Website audits
- Brand strategy and design
- Content Strategy
- Copywriting and editing
- Graphic design
- Multimedia design
- Studio and location photography and post-production
- Video and post-production
- SEO services, including on-page, on-site, off-site and local SEO
- PPC and Adwords campaign implementation and management
- Organic social media strategies
- Social media marketing
- Community Management
- Digital marketing
- Email marketing
- Performance tracking and analytics
- IT services
Just because a credible web design agency provides all of these services does not mean you will actually need all of them. But just in case isn’t it nice to know that all of your needs are taken care of by the same service provider instead of you having to shop around? And a full-service web design agency can also give you some cool ideas regarding all your website can be!
How to Find a Credible Web Design Agency
Finding a credible web design agency is actually easier than you think. If you see a website you like take a look and see if the designer is credited and contact them. If the web design agency is not listed contact the business and maybe they can help you. Maybe one of your business associates can recommend their designer.
There are also a number of directories and services such as Clutch, UpCity, Expertise, or Yelp that can help you locate professionals in your area. A word of caution if you are considering Craigslist for finding a credible web design agency, it is usually not a place where established designers and agencies list their services.
Finding a Credible Web Design Agency is Your Responsibility!
And don’t forget, some of the responsibility of working with a designer or agency falls on you, the client. Take a look at Getting The Most From Your Web Designer to see what we mean. If you are not sure what your web designer or agency expects from you be sure to ask them. They will much prefer explaining their process to you upfront than having your project derail later.
Of course, you can save yourself a lot of time and trouble and include us in your consideration process. Here at PixoLabo, we offer a full range of mobile-first business website consulting and design services, including mobile-first web design and development, e-commerce solutions, search engine optimization, brand strategy, and design, and business website hosting and maintenance.
And if you are still not sure about hiring a credible professional web designer or web design agency don’t worry! Simply reach out and contact us. Our expert team will listen to you, answer your questions, and determine the best way for your business to get the online presence you need. That is one of our specialties, after all!
Thank you! We appreciate your help to end bad business websites, one pixel at a time!